We are excited to announce that the 35th Annual History Teachers Conference will take place on Friday, October 10, 2014, here at Eastern Illinois University. The theme of this year’s conference is “Supporting the Common Core,” and we will feature a day of presentations focused on how social studies teachers can and are supporting Common Core reading, writing, and historical/social studies literacy in their classrooms. The conference offers a wonderful opportunity for teachers to earn CPDUs, network with other Illinois teachers, and return to school refreshed with a handful of strategies to apply as they implement new learning based on the Common Core standards in their own classrooms.
Lee Ann Potter, Director of Educational Outreach at the Library of Congress will make the opening keynote address, “Deep Admiration, Communication, & the Power of Primary Sources.” We are also very excited to announce morning session topics such as:
- Introduction to Literacy Strategies for Preservice Teachers
- Annotating Informational Texts in the Social Studies Classroom
- Incorporating Atlantic History into World and U.S. History
- Using Primary Sources & Technology to Create Engaging Civil War Lessons
- Teaching Social Studies Units Aligned to Common Core Standards
- Civic Learning – A Gateway to Common Core, Danielson, and the 5 Essentials
- Latin America: Growth, Democracy, Reform and Revolution
- Engaging Learners through Classroom Museum Gallery Walks Presenters
- Literacy Strategies That Work for Practicing Teachers
The day concludes with a luncheon where teachers will be joined by Associate Dean of CEPS Doug Bower, Chair of Early Childhood, Elementary, and Middle Level Education Joy Russell, and Chair of Secondary Foundations Stephen Lucas. During this time there will be a discussion on the Common Core & Higher Education as well as an opportunity to network and continue to share strategies and ideas with other Illinois teachers.
- For more information about the conference, please visit: http://www.eiu.edu/~socsci/annual.php
- Online registration can be found at: https://sce.eiu.edu/CourseStatus.awp?&course=14HISTCONF
- For download the full version of the above flyer, click here.